It is known to everyone that when you don’t have enough sleep, your health can deteriorate. Lack of enough sleep can ruin your memory and eventually cause a lack of concentration. When you visit a doctor about your health, and you were asked to sleep for at least eight hours, ask yourself if you will be able to sleep that much. You will realize you still find yourself tossing and turning well after you put the lights out. This is not a unique problem.
According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, up to one in three adults say they occasionally experience insomnia. So instead of taking too much medication and posing a threat to your kidney, try something simple and natural. There are a lot of drinks that will surely help you have a sound sleep and provide good nutrients to your body. Below are lists of the good and natural drinks you can try when you can’t sleep.
This tea is famous for its fragrance. Also, due to the presence of apigenin, the drink is perfect when you can’t sleep. The apigenin is one of the significant phenolic flavors that calms the body’s nervous system and helps to have a sound sleep. So, take chamomile tea a few minutes before going to bed.
- Vanilla Essence.
- Rooibos Tea.
- Peppermint Leaves.
- Use one and a half teaspoons of the mixture for every 16oz. cup.
- Make sure you steep in water for about five minutes.
This energy giving drink is also another way of fighting insomnia. Coconut milk comprises of a lot of nutrients. There are magnesium and potassium in the coconut water that helps to relax the muscle. The vitamin-B present in it provides the calming effects on the body.
- Two cups of coconut milk.
- A one-inch slice of ginger.
- One teaspoon turmeric.
- A quarter teaspoon black pepper.
- Put all the ingredients in a pan and mix.
- Heat with medium heat until it starts to bubble.
- Let simmer for about five minutes.
- Strain out the ginger.
Chia Seed Water
This drink contains tryptophan (an amino acid which can regulate sleep and helps to improve the mood). If you want to have a sound sleep, take this wonderful drink.
- One cup juice of choice.T
- Three tablespoons of chia seed. –
- One cup of water.
- Boil the water and pour inside a cup with the seeds
- Stir continuously until the seeds are circulated and start to swell
- Put inside the refrigerator for a number of hours or overnight.
- By the end of the day or the following morning, your chia tea will have turned to a thick gel.
- Finally, add juice, stir well, enjoy your drink and prepare for a sound sleep.
Any drink or food that provides the body with enough calcium which helps produce melatonin is perfect. This melatonin is the hormone that tells the brain it’s time to sleep. If the brain is not getting the signal or getting it at a later time, then try this milk. Not only that, but it also provides the body with sleep-enhancing qualities.
- One teaspoon honey.
- Two drops vanilla expert.
- One pinch cinnamon.
- One cup of almond milk.
- Pour the milk into safe microwave mug and cook on high until it starts to foam. This should not take more than five minutes.
- Remove it, stir well in honey and vanilla. You can also sprinkle with cinnamon.
One of the perfect drink combinations is honey and milk. If all that matters to you is to sleep soundly and have sweet dreams then try honey milk. Just like the almond milk, it also contains the amino acid L-tryptophan.
- One cup of milk.
- One dash ground nutmeg
- One and a half teaspoon honey.
- One dash ground allspice.
- One cinnamon stick.
- Put all the ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Cook under medium temperature until it is thoroughly heated.
- Pour in a mug and garnish it with a cinnamon stick.
- Go to bed after some minutes and have sweet dreams.
Tart Cherry Juice
Tart cherry juice is a natural drink and fantastic melatonin booster. It is known for its muscle relaxing effects and prepares the body for rest.
- One cup of tart cherry juice.
- One teaspoon of raw ginger.
- One and a half teaspoons of turmeric.
- One cup of apple or orange juice.
- Add cherry juice with orange juice or apple juice.
- Add the ginger.
- Stir in turmeric.
- Serve while chilled.
All images via Pixabay