Argan oil also called ‘liquid gold’ is an organic product extracted from Moroccan Argan tree which is only found in the southwestern regions of Morocco. The oil is made up of 80 percent fatty acids and contains vitamin E, which is three times more than that in olive oil. Argan oil has gained popularity due to the countless positive benefits from its effectiveness as a skin conditioner and moisturizer to strengthening nails. Multiple body, skin and hair care products have argan oil as an essential ingredient. When purchasing argan oil, go for the one labeled 100% pure argan oil and it should be packaged in a dark bottle to help extend its shelf life.
- Itchy/dry scalp treatment. Using your fingers or paintbrush, apply a generous amount of argan oil into your scalp and let it settle for half an hour. Then wash and repeat when needed to relieve itching and scalp dryness.
- Leave-in conditioner. Argan oil makes the perfect leave-in conditioner due to its nourishing benefits. It helps to soften hair that is frequently styled. Apply small amounts of argan oil to wet hair, then dry and style it as normal.
- Overnight moisturizing treatment. Scoop a generous amount of argan oil and apply it to your hair from scalp to ends. Then wrap with a shower cap or towel before bed. Wash it out on the morning for soft and smooth hair.
- Anti-frizz serum. Use a few drops of the oil along with few drops of essential oils and apply to your hair. Use your palm to smooth the serum into your hair to tame frizz and add shine. Essential oils added include peppermint for dry hair, lavender for fine to normal, or lemon for golden highlights.
- Beard oil. Argan oil when applied to beard, it softens them. Also, it can be used to soothe irritated post-shave skin.
- Facial moisturizer. Argan oil is commonly used as a moisturizer. This explains why it’s often used in lotions and soaps. Also, you can use argan oil directly onto your face and neck then allow it to soak in for a few minutes before applying makeup.
- Protects from sun damage. Applying argan oil to your skin can protect the skin against free radical damage caused by the sun. Studies found that long term use of this oil can help prevent the development of skin cancer, including melanoma.
- Treats acne. Hormonal acne results from excess sebum caused by hormones. Argan oil has anti sebum effects, thus regulating the amount of sebum on the skin. This helps treat different types of acne promoting a smoother and calmer complexion.
- Lip scrub. Mix a few drops of argan oil with a bit of sugar to form a paste. Use this paste to gently exfoliate and hydrate dry or chapped lips.
- Makeup magic. Add a drop of argan oil to your liquid foundation, tinted moisturizer or bronze to achieve a luminous glow. Even better, the oil prevents your foundation from drying out or looking cakey.
- Hydration toner. Add a few drops of argan oil to your everyday toner for added hydration and dewy glow.
- Anti-aging effects. Applying argan oil directly to the skin or taking oral supplements regularly is proven to have a significant increase in skin elasticity. This is an effective anti-aging treatment.
- Prevents and reduces stretch marks. Anyone can have stretch marks although they are common during pregnancy. Apply argan oil to the affected area at least twice per day. For excellent results, this should be done immediately you suspect or start to see stretch marks.
- Nail strengthener. A mixture of argan oil and lemon juice treats nail breakage and give them a healthy glow. You should soak your nails for 10 to 15 minutes in the mixture for better results.
- Cuticle treatment. Massage a drop or two of argan oil into your nails to help heal dry or cracked cuticles. Nail fungal infection remedy. Apply a few drops of argan oil directly to the infected nails. Do this two to three times a day to get the best results.
Argan oil is considered safe for use by anyone. It’s a powerful oil for skin, hair, and nails with several healing benefits and vitamins. The only issue with argan oil is the price. A 4oz bottle can go for around $17.45, but it can serve you for a long period. Plus, when using the oil, you don’t need to pour a lot since a few drops can work wonders for your body. Additionally, the oil is light, natural, organic and easily absorbed by the skin.
All images by Pixabay